AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Using front tow hooks (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153731)

crdv6 29-08-2018 07:38 AM

Using front tow hooks

I am looking for advice or ideas on attachment of recovery gear to front tow hooks. I have fitted Uneek tow hooks which are not rated for recovery although they are obviously quite strong, I would like to spread the load between both if I needed to be pulled out of a sticky situation. I was thinking of attaching a short rope/ cable/ chain each side and join with a heavy shackle, then use one snatch strap to the tow vehicle. Looking at snatch straps and tree protectors etc they say don't join two together with shackles, and steel cables are not recommended for recovery operations. Does it mean I have to rely on one hook or use two snatch straps,ie, one on each hook?

tasjeep 29-08-2018 08:04 AM

I thread a tree protector through the eye of the strap and then attach it to the 2 tow hooks. The strap slides along ok to share the load.
I would stay away from any shackles.

Freetripper 29-08-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasjeep (Post 1638845)
I thread a tree protector through the eye of the strap and then attach it to the 2 tow hooks. The strap slides along ok to share the load.
I would stay away from any shackles.

It becomes an equalizer strap

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

GCDingo 29-08-2018 04:08 PM

Yep avoid shackles at all costs with snatch straps if possible. I use same as free tripper. You can buy a small equaliser strap or bridle around 2-3m from memory if you want. About $70ish depending on brand

Troutman 29-08-2018 09:29 PM

Shackles are used to attach recovery and equalising straps to recovery points, aren't they?

Lewy2001 29-08-2018 10:16 PM

No way you would get a strap through the Uneek recovery points. :sad:

SnakeDoctor 29-08-2018 10:39 PM

Two things:

Nothing wrong with using a 4.5t shackle on a rated recovery point. The minimum breaking strength of the shackle FAR exceeds what you could put on it with a snatch strap, it's what you are connecting the shackle to that you need to be concerned about.

It's also better to use an equaliser strap when you have two recovery points, thread the equaliser strap/tree trunk protector through the end of the snatch strap.