AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Price gouging on spare parts (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155037)

Ed.. 23-02-2019 09:16 AM

Price gouging on spare parts

Just got a bit of a nasty surprise when inquiring about a WK2 MY14 spare part, driver side windscreen washer jet nozzle, there is a small 90 degree elbow joint which connects the hose to the nozzle jet barb, the barb that it connects to on the jet nozzle cracked off, so no water coming out onto the windscreen. No problem, small simple plastic part, probably cost stuff all to make and should cost no more more than $5-6 retail tops, right?

Wrong... just as well I was sitting down, rang the Keystar Jeep dealership in Kippa-Ring Qld. Price quoted was over $54, wasn't even sure if it was for one side or two, didn't inquire any further as I slammed down the phone.

Talk about the proverbial parts cost rip-off. Anyway ordered a set of 2 for $4 off E-bay, and they weren't the cheapest ones listed either. In the mean time I have tied it up with fishing line whilst waiting for the replacements to arrive from overseas.

bjm 23-02-2019 10:32 AM

Priced ONE from a Jeep dealership in NZ when I was travelling around a few weeks ago ,around the same price.!!Got a couple in from Rock Auto in seven days.For about $20.00.These things do not like the under bonnet heat ,however the latest genuine ones have green moulded into the under bonnet area,meant to withstand heat better

happy wanderer 24-02-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed.. (Post 1646519)
Just got a bit of a nasty surprise when inquiring about a WK2 MY14 spare part, driver side windscreen washer jet nozzle, there is a small 90 degree elbow joint which connects the hose to the nozzle jet barb, the barb that it connects to on the jet nozzle cracked off, so no water coming out onto the windscreen. No problem, small simple plastic part, probably cost stuff all to make and should cost no more more than $5-6 retail tops, right?

Wrong... just as well I was sitting down, rang the Keystar Jeep dealership in Kippa-Ring Qld. Price quoted was over $54, wasn't even sure if it was for one side or two, didn't inquire any further as I slammed down the phone.

Talk about the proverbial parts cost rip-off. Anyway ordered a set of 2 for $4 off E-bay, and they weren't the cheapest ones listed either. In the mean time I have tied it up with fishing line whilst waiting for the replacements to arrive from overseas.

Do u have a link for these. My drivers side elbow has busted as well. Contact adhesive is holding for the moment but I’m sure the next set of corrugations will fix that.

Ed.. 24-02-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy wanderer (Post 1646568)
Do u have a link for these. My drivers side elbow has busted as well. Contact adhesive is holding for the moment but I’m sure the next set of corrugations will fix that.

These are the ones I bought, but bear in mind there could be up to an 8 week wait for delivery, as I managed to do a temporary fix on mine, I can therefore wait but if you can't wait you might have to get a set locally and pay more for them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pcs-Win...53.m2749.l2649

If you do an Ebay search, there are a couple that might only be a wait of a week or two but they are about $20, also another thing to be aware of is that there are quite a few cheaper sets available ($2 pair) but they seem to have two distinct nozzles and will squirt two streams of water as against a wider fan shaped water path of the one I chose, I don't know if that is important to you or not.

Cheers
Ed.

happy wanderer 25-02-2019 05:28 PM

Thanks Ed, ordered a couple to keep in the toolbox until it breaks again. Cheers Steve

Ed.. 25-02-2019 09:17 PM

No problem, lets hope that these Chinese ones live up to expectations, I actually have ordered another similar set from a different supplier for pretty much the same amount.

This is just in case the first set gets lost in the post, nothing cheeses me off more than waiting 6-8 weeks for a package to arrive from China only to find out it has been lost in the mail, then I would have to re-order and wait another 6-8 weeks. So hopefully one of these sets should arrive!

At another $4, it's cheap insurance so to speak.

chalkyaj 04-03-2019 08:32 AM

Seems to be common, my drivers side hose held on with a cable tie