AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Aircon Evaporator leak - Dash removal (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155212)

GPCDR 21-03-2019 07:22 PM

Aircon Evaporator leak - Dash removal

Hi All,
Has anyone replaced the aircon evaporator, I've been told I have a leak either at the o ring or at the evaporator. Talking to aircon and Jeep shops I get a mixed message if the evaporator generally fails or s it more than likely to be just the O ring. Whatever the issue it looks like the dash has to be completely removed as the vehicle was built around the air box :(

Has anyone had this issue?

st_za 22-03-2019 03:55 PM

I presume it's a leaking heater core, when you say evaporator and talk about dash removal. While I haven't had a problem with mine, I have comes across a few videos on Youtube about replacing the heater core.

Good luck - I had a leaking heater core in my old Holden Rodeo and that was a #$%@ of a job because it needed the complete dash removal. It's usually behind the middle of the dashboard, above the transmission tunnel.

GPCDR 22-03-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st_za (Post 1647469)
I presume it's a leaking heater core, when you say evaporator and talk about dash removal. While I haven't had a problem with mine, I have comes across a few videos on Youtube about replacing the heater core.

Good luck - I had a leaking heater core in my old Holden Rodeo and that was a #$%@ of a job because it needed the complete dash removal. It's usually behind the middle of the dashboard, above the transmission tunnel.

Hi, Not the heater core, this is working fine. I'm referring to the aircon evaporator which is also in the airbox. No Youtube videos on this one.

bagnkat 27-03-2019 10:52 AM

It’s essentially the same procedure for the evaporator and heater core. Both require full removal of the dash, as you said. It’s a huge job, well beyond most amateurs. If there’s a chance the leak is at the firewall seals, I’d definitely investigate that thoroughly. Are you getting any evidence of air conditioning gas venting into the cabin?

GPCDR 27-03-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagnkat (Post 1647681)
It’s essentially the same procedure for the evaporator and heater core. Both require full removal of the dash, as you said. It’s a huge job, well beyond most amateurs. If there’s a chance the leak is at the firewall seals, I’d definitely investigate that thoroughly. Are you getting any evidence of air conditioning gas venting into the cabin?

Hi, when we had the vehicle in for a recharge the mechanic investigated a leak to behind the dash. It leaks too fast to detect venting in service.

Does anyone know if the same evaporator is used arcoss all JKs as I can get a better price from the USA?

bagnkat 28-03-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPCDR (Post 1647700)
Hi, when we had the vehicle in for a recharge the mechanic investigated a leak to behind the dash. It leaks too fast to detect venting in service.

Does anyone know if the same evaporator is used arcoss all JKs as I can get a better price from the USA?

How does it vent “too fast” to detect the leak? That should make it easier to detect. I reckon you need to take it to someone who can make a definitive diagnosis on the fault. I wouldn’t want to be paying someone to do the dash removal, if avoidable.

Classic Boy 28-03-2019 06:20 PM

A good hvac tech should put in dry nitrogen and identify the location of the leak.