AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Jeep ..we have a problem! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156130)

Grand chief 27-07-2019 05:03 AM

Jeep ..we have a problem!

Well to add to the alternator issues , it seems that every model is going to have alternator issues!
I have a 2014 Diesel and have sat on the fence being my VIN was not part of any recall and feeling relatively smug! Could I be so lucky? Murphy taps me on the shoulder the day before I am about to embark on a critical trip.Started as normal , then before the end of the street the battery light comes on , no worries I think , i will get to work and just replace the battery ......not to be .
Every 500 mtrs a electrical function shuts down sending every warning message known to jeep.
Coasted to a stop with no steering (glad I was driving and not my SO) ,RACQ promptly to the scene , battery is dead but the alternator is fried in a big way! FML
Quick end to the story ..rang JEEP ..oh thats no sir good let me check your VIN , no sorry not on the recall list ..let me get a price ..Oh good news sir ..in light of all the alternator issues Jeep have reduced the alternator price from $2200 to $670 fitted ! You are in luck ! But I Cant get one in Brisbane until Tuesday next week. Rang a trusted mechanic and got the Jeep towed to him ,an hour later he calls me and says he has good news ..same story from Jeep , they have reduced the price of the new alternators and he can have one in and fitted in 24 hrs ! ($650 incl all the fault clearing and recharging the battery)Happy trails and yes thats how it happened.
So Jeep definitely know that all the alternators are an issue , now just how to get Jeep to acknowledge this and reimburse the not on the recall list owners !

bjm 27-07-2019 05:55 AM

FCA will not do anything re a recall until a tsunami of worldwide complaints arise.more cost effective for them to treat each failure as a one off .By there own admission by lowering prices etc ,these alternators are a problem.a serious one at that ,if failure/shutdown happens on a freeway ,outback,towing etc. I am continually thinking when my 2012 WK is going to expire,where I might be etc.These alternator failures should be treated as a SAFETY ISSUE .I know from personal experience with my 2010 WH transfer case debacle how FCA operate.Finally half a million WHs recalled world wide due to pressure from USA Feds.This was a safety recall.
FCA ,I know you monitor these forums from past experience,do the right thing and fit alternator failures FOC .The PR gains would far outweigh the cost!! .Grand chief it would be good if you could post this under T36 alternator recall section

Wkoz 27-07-2019 06:29 AM

Dont forget to notify ACCC
Cheers

SouthernComfort 27-07-2019 09:12 AM

Not the first time I've mentioned this, but I openly admit to becoming so stressed at the prospect of alternator failure on my MY13 CRD, that last year I replaced it at my own expense BEFORE it had chance to fail and potentially land me and my family in deep doodoo. At the time I notified FCA about my proactive decision, they suggested (in writing) that I keep the receipts in case a recall comes out, but no guarantee that I'd have a leg to stand on if making a claim.
Because I do a fair bit of caravan towing, the thought of alternator failure with an extra 2.5 tonnes stuck to my arse had me losing sleep.

lujabe 27-07-2019 12:09 PM

Having battled FCA and Jeep Dealers to take responsibility for faults.... the time wasting and frustration you’ll experience probably won’t get you anywhere, and even if it does, it probably won’t be worth $650.

They are not an honorable organisation and trying to get them to ‘do the right thing’ will just drive you mad.

Troutman 27-07-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1651839)
Not the first time I've mentioned this, but I openly admit to becoming so stressed at the prospect of alternator failure on my MY13 CRD, that last year I replaced it at my own expense BEFORE it had chance to fail ….

Seems like a wise move to me mate, the only issue is....are replacement alternators free of this defect? And what exactly is failing with the current alternators? Opinions vary and no one seems to have a definitive answer.

SouthernComfort 28-07-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1651843)
Seems like a wise move to me mate, the only issue is....are replacement alternators free of this defect? And what exactly is failing with the current alternators? Opinions vary and no one seems to have a definitive answer.

I had the same suspicion and steered clear of OEM. Bought a Jaylec (part no. 65-8536) for half the price - $676 delivered from US Auto Parts.