AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   12 pin Trailer Plug help (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156301)

CRD-01 27-08-2019 09:26 PM

12 pin Trailer Plug help

Hi All

I have just purchased a new van (yet to pick up) and it has a 12 pin plug for all its wiring ( no separate Anderson Plug). Pins 8 & !0 are the normal Anderson plug wires. My concern is , my current 7 pin and Anderson plug have been what I use on my current van. So, to fit a new 12 pin plug to the GC appears to be the next thing that I have to do. It appears to me that I may need extra hot wires that require to be run because of the break away system and van battery charging (i think) . Has anyone fitted a 12 PIN to their GC and what should I be aware of. Hope that this makes sence :sad:

drover 28-08-2019 07:09 AM

I would just remove the 12 pin from the van and fit a 7 pin, the pins ( I forget the numbers ) that are for the fridge or 12v power to van just fit an Anderson plug to them. I used a 12pin for years with no drama then one trip it had a meltdown because of a poor contact, now just have a 7 with an anderson for fridge power and all is good.

With my recently aquired WK2 it has a 7 pin and I have just added an Anderson from the jump terminals under the bonnet to the hitch for the van fridge, the van originally had a 12 pin.

Dependng on your van wiring, some will run van 12v and fridge power from the one feed off tug, best to seperate fridge supply to heavy cabling like 8 B&S and adding a fridge switch if one isn't fitted to tug or van.

Of course if you haven't picked it up yet ask the dealer to wire it up as a 7 pin with anderson they should come to the party..

layback40 28-08-2019 08:03 AM

I would stay well away from an plug that you cant purchase from a hardware/auto shop. It sounds like they have put lots into the 12 pin. An Anderson plug is a must. A couple of 6 or 7 pin plugs would be the answer. One of each would prevent mixing them up. The 7 could be a standard 7 pin wiring so that you could use it for a trailer (hire). The 6 could have the brakes & any other quirky stuff specific to your van & the anderson for heavy loads.

drover 28-08-2019 10:19 AM

Problem with 12 pins is the 5 HD pins for higher currents can melt if not located in socket firmly or the pins close up also if you use decent size cable for the fridge ie: 8 B&S the cable won't fit........

CRD-01 28-08-2019 01:51 PM

Thanks for all your efforts in helping me with my issues. However I have contacted the van manufacturer and they will wire a seven pin plug in plus an Anderson plug which will suit my existing arrangement. I don't see any problems now. Thanks to all once again.