AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Rubicon or not to Rubicon (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157751)

LEXX 02-06-2020 10:47 PM

Rubicon or not to Rubicon

Ok looking at getting back into the Jeep community.

Need some advice.

Do I go a Rubicon or buy a stock JK and put in aftermarket lockers etc .

I’ve found a Rubi I really like but not sure if I should just buy a standard Jk and build the diffs and suspension myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep'ers 02-06-2020 11:55 PM

There is a guy on youtube that did a build instead of buying a Rubi... His name is surferdude... He found that if he bought the cheaper and retro fitted aftermarket he'd get better quality than stock rubi parts. However there are things the rubi has that the sport doesn't such as better TC, D44 up front not D30, Electronic swaybar and so on... so i think its a trade off only you and your budget can offer...

If I could do it again... Id go Rubi and just upgrade from there..

relwell 03-06-2020 07:15 AM

I have had a few sport TJ's in the past and worked to upgrade them. It was fine and fun, but this time around I just got an 09 Rubicon and called it a day, minus a few modifications of course because I'm addicted and sort of an idiot.

I would say if you're into doing work yourself and you have the time and desire to build a rubi+ from a sport, do it for the love of the game and not the money you'll potentially save, (or also possibly lose) in the process.

Fishframe 03-06-2020 08:41 PM

Depends on money. If stock cheap enough I’d modify as stated, but airlockers alone are a major expense. The D30’s are tough so I wouldn’t worry about the Rubi’s D44. However, a Rubi from the outset is a lot less trouble and a bloody good Jeep straight out of the box.

LEXX 04-06-2020 07:01 PM

Rubicon or not to Rubicon

Any know issues with the Rubicon running gear?

Having a D44 in the front is a big bonus. Just when they say HD running gear? What is HD as a factory HD?

I have a limited budget, so I don’t want to be replacing so called HD factory components when I go off road.

Jimmyb 04-06-2020 07:19 PM

Deeper tcase gears in Rubi, D44 front, that shorty you showed me is the bet I say, buy it, sell the 37's and downsize to daily 35's. Its got everything ready to roll.

And welcome back to Ausjeep, one of the OG members!!!

samft 04-06-2020 08:16 PM

If you will drive on sand, go for non-rubi and modify accordingly

if you will offroad more on rocks, go for Rubi and still modify

If mud, probably doesn't matter

The one thing (almost) no one swaps is the transfer case, rubi is super reduction gearing so great on slow technical parts but less use on sand