AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Adding parking lights (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159609)

JayOh 30-07-2021 06:02 PM

Adding parking lights

I've purchased a pair of Stedi Homage LED headlights to replace the stock headlights on my 2011 JK sport. Turns out they don't have a parking light function and the mechanic says they won't pass a roadworthy in NSW without parkers..

I'm looking at options, one thing I'm considering is replacing the stock foglights with an LED version that also has the halo ring daytime running lights around the outside and wiring the halo as a parking light instead of drl. I'm waiting to hear back from the mechanic whether this would pass a roadworthy or whether the halo may be too bright as a parker.

Has anybody got any other suggestions?

Fishframe 30-07-2021 10:28 PM

The LED’s I purchased have a DRL. Instead of wiring the DRL I rerouted it so the DRL function comes on only for parking lights.

JayOh 31-07-2021 10:39 AM

The NSW regulations are a little conflicting - parking lights need to stay on with the main lights but DRLs need to switch off when the main lights are on. Hopefully the mechanic can clarify that the LED ring is ok to use as a parker.

Have you had any issues with roadworthy inspections running this way?

abandit 31-07-2021 12:59 PM

Pretty sure the front indicator (grill) have a double element, hook it up to the side indicator,or park light feed,or JW speaker LED front indicators work as a park and indicator.

Banshee 01-08-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayOh (Post 1674753)
The NSW regulations are a little conflicting - parking lights need to stay on with the main lights but DRLs need to switch off when the main lights are on. Hopefully the mechanic can clarify that the LED ring is ok to use as a parker.

Have you had any issues with roadworthy inspections running this way?

I have a set of JWS inserts. The halo is bright for DRL, and dim for parker. No issues passing rego.

That is:
All lights off, bright DRL half ring.
Parkers on, half ring dims.
Headlights on, half ring stays dim.

Fishframe 02-08-2021 07:54 AM

Anyone who can decipher the ADR and reference to “77” around parking lights must be a University Professor.

For LED’s it seems to be around voltage rather than brightness. I guess voltage regulates brightness.

When I read it I get the impression there is a fair bit open to interpretation and passing a roadworthy may come down to individual inspectors.

Nanook 02-08-2021 12:01 PM

I bought my headlight replacements from Stedi. I just wired the DRLs (half ring) into the parking lights and never had an issue passing rego inspection.

There's a couple of pics of my JKU on their website.