AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   no power bus showing on odometer (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160658)

layback40 31-05-2022 05:48 PM

no power bus showing on odometer

About 5 years ago I had this message on the odometer & at the same time all the instruments went dead. After driving on for an hour & a stop & start it went away. The other day after filling, it started & ran for about 10 seconds & cut out. I disconnected & reconnected the battery & it fixed it. Drove for about 5km & the gauges went dead & got no power bus on the odometer. Still drove, but when I stopped, I had to disconnect & reconnect the battery to get it to start. Yesterday it just showed the no power bus message & no movement on the gauges when turned on & wont start.
Can anyone tell me how to get power back on the bus?
Its my 2000 XJ diesel but I suspect the same would happen on a petrol.
Ant suggestions appreciated.

LuluBelle 31-05-2022 07:09 PM

layback i know nothing about diesels but on petrol it sounds like a bad intermittent earth ? on the petrol there are main earths are at the base of the dipstick and coil bracket and yes i know you dont have a coil but thats where they are one of them is the pcm ground i cant remember at the moment . after all this wet weather your main ground wires might be more crusty than they were in the past ?

Jonny Jeep 01-06-2022 04:57 AM

No bus means the cluster has lost communication with the PCM.
In TJs there was sometimes an issue where the twisted pair bus wires weren't twisted all the way up to the cluster connector. De-pinning and adding extra twists to the wires could often fix the issue. It could also just be a connection issue with the cluster connector.

If you want to check the wires they are white/black and violet brown going to pins 1 and 2 of the cluster C1 connector.

layback40 01-06-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuluBelle (Post 1684376)
layback i know nothing about diesels but on petrol it sounds like a bad intermittent earth ? on the petrol there are main earths are at the base of the dipstick and coil bracket and yes i know you dont have a coil but thats where they are one of them is the pcm ground i cant remember at the moment . after all this wet weather your main ground wires might be more crusty than they were in the past ?

Thanks,
Its interesting that both times (years ago & now) its been during cold wet weather that the problem has occurred. Will give me something to do when the wind stops blowing & the rain stops falling.:)

layback40 01-06-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep (Post 1684382)
No bus means the cluster has lost communication with the PCM.
In TJs there was sometimes an issue where the twisted pair bus wires weren't twisted all the way up to the cluster connector. De-pinning and adding extra twists to the wires could often fix the issue. It could also just be a connection issue with the cluster connector.

If you want to check the wires they are white/black and violet brown going to pins 1 and 2 of the cluster C1 connector.

Thanks Jonny,
I will check it out.
It could be more as the airbag warning light is also on.
It would not even tow start the other night.
:)

awg 04-06-2022 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1684374)
Can anyone tell me how to get power back on the bus?
Its my 2000 XJ diesel but I suspect the same would happen on a petrol.
Ant suggestions appreciated.

Have you Googled or directly checked the USA forums ?

I have seen quite a few topics with similar type issues, but I just glaze over them, and hope it never happens to me

same as the FSM on the topic

I vaguely recall someone having to re-solder things, and XJs have shite wiring

No joy to be had in fault finding an intermittent, especially if its behind the dash, unless you strike it lucky

layback40 04-06-2022 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awg (Post 1684444)
Have you Googled or directly checked the USA forums ?

I have seen quite a few topics with similar type issues, but I just glaze over them, and hope it never happens to me

same as the FSM on the topic

I vaguely recall someone having to re-solder things, and XJs have shite wiring

No joy to be had in fault finding an intermittent, especially if its behind the dash, unless you strike it lucky

Thanks awg!
I have a spare car so I hope it has the same CPS.
Most of the info I find is for the petrol XJ.
I am looking further to see if there is anything specific to the diesel XJ.
Havent had a chance to look at it yet, busy replacing the injector pump on my KJ CRD. When that is done, the XJ is next.