AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Jeep Chat (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   3.0 CRD Replacmwnt Engine - Melbourne? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161198)

A55A1LANT 01-01-2023 03:31 PM

3.0 CRD Replacmwnt Engine - Melbourne?

Hi all,

First off, happy new year!

In urgent need of assistance/opinion.

I've just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD, the wife was driving it yesterday and had cruise control on up the highway, and all of a sudden the cruise control was still on but the car started slowing down on its own.

She pulled to the side of the road, and smoke started coming from the back of the engine which was coolant from the top (I understand this is the turbo inlet hose for water? Also a common problem?)

Anyway, I've diagnosed and the issue is that the rubber on the hose is definitely shot (I can put my hand in behind and feel water around the inlet hose)

However, now the car won't start. Turns over like it wants to go, but does not. Which I think now is new engine time 2 days into owning the car :(

My question is; where is good priced in Melbourne to call on Tuesday (given the new year closure tomorrow) to purchase a replacement engine for swap over?

Thank you so much

FARWEST 01-01-2023 03:40 PM

You may be jumping the gun going down the engine swap path...there's a few hoses and bits that are fairly common issues on that Model...give All Grand Cherokee at Springvale a call...03 852 13329....they are top notch with the WK2's....wreckers/mechanics/new parts/info....they may be closed for another week though ???....GOOD LUCK !

A55A1LANT 01-01-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARWEST (Post 1689015)
You may be jumping the gun going down the engine swap path...there's a few hoses and bits that are fairly common issues on that Model...give All Grand Cherokee at Springvale a call...03 852 13329....they are top notch with the WK2's....wreckers/mechanics/new parts/info....they may be closed for another week though ???....GOOD LUCK !

Thanks so much mate! I try to turn the engine over and it sounds like it wants to start but won't. If I put my hand over the water reservoir whilst starting its pushing splatters out, signifying the engine has a head gasket issue? However I'm told that these motors do rings before gaskets?

FARWEST 01-01-2023 05:51 PM

Yeah....the cooling system pressurising whilst cranking the engine sure aint a 'good' sign....'perhaps' it has spat a head gasket...personally, I havnt heard the 'ring failure' being a 'common thing' with these motors....the cranking but wont start with these things could genuinely be anything, being they are so heavily governed by electronics/sensors/signals between modules etc etc etc....BUT....obviously compression the cooling system is the major issue...'hoping' its a head gasket...not a great thing to 'hope' for and wont be cheap either....was the car bought private or from a caryard ???...obviously if it was a caryard you have your 3mth standard warranty and they will have to pay for the repair...private, and its your puppy....

A55A1LANT 01-01-2023 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARWEST (Post 1689019)
Yeah....the cooling system pressurising whilst cranking the engine sure aint a 'good' sign....'perhaps' it has spat a head gasket...personally, I havnt heard the 'ring failure' being a 'common thing' with these motors....the cranking but wont start with these things could genuinely be anything, being they are so heavily governed by electronics/sensors/signals between modules etc etc etc....BUT....obviously compression the cooling system is the major issue...'hoping' its a head gasket...not a great thing to 'hope' for and wont be cheap either....was the car bought private or from a caryard ???...obviously if it was a caryard you have your 3mth standard warranty and they will have to pay for the repair...private, and its your puppy....

Noted.

How do I check compression on these engines? is it a matter of taking spark plugs out?

FARWEST 01-01-2023 08:33 PM

So its a 3.6lt Petrol ???....if so...they do have a history of spitting out the left hand bank head gasket....3.0lt CRD is a diesel engine...obviously no plugs in them....both are V6 engines

A55A1LANT 01-01-2023 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARWEST (Post 1689021)
So its a 3.6lt Petrol ???....if so...they do have a history of spitting out the left hand bank head gasket....3.0lt CRD is a diesel engine...obviously no plugs in them....both are V6 engines

It's late and I'm stupid sorry. It's diesel haha. How do you check compression on a diesel? This is my first diesel engine excuse the ignorance