AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Service BlindSpot fixed (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161357)

geoffmc1 24-03-2023 10:47 PM

Service BlindSpot fixed

Hi All,

I had a slight incident with one of my rear fog lights, on the lower section of the bumper last week. As a consequence it smashed the lens, bulb and destroyed the bulb holder. I didn't notice any other damage, however the following day realized that the Blindspot monitor in each side mirror weren't working and message "Service Required Blindspot not working".

I crawled under the rear searching for the Blindspot modules in the lower corner of the rear bumper, to see if they were damaged. When I found them and couldn't see any damage, it made no sense and Googled everything i could find, with everything pointing to the modules.

Knowing how in all modern cars, may different systems are connected and can effect some systems, that make no sense. So, I purchased another L/H rear fog-light, including the bulb holder, which strangely had 3 wire, 1 for 12v when the light was switched on(white) and 2 identical black wires. After checking with my trusty multimeter i discovered 1 of the black wire was earth for the lamp and the other appeared to be a trickle feed. Once connected again, the fog lights worked and so did the Blind Spot monitors on the side mirrors!! WIN!!

So, if anyone has a similar issue and one or both rear Fog lights are damaged and one of the 3 wires is severed from the bulb holder, this may be a fix. I hope this can be of some assistance to others.
cheers
Geoff

Colm 25-03-2023 08:22 PM

Good work mate,
But makes the mind boggle at what is going through the heads of these designers and engineers when they designing these things.
:hammer:

OLMATE 26-03-2023 07:19 AM

I take it everything has to work in harmony, all part of Canbus, it allows all ECU's to communicate without the need for dedicated wiring, Jeep is not the only one to use this set-up, there are literally dozens of manufacturers gone to this format

drover 26-03-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLMATE (Post 1690509)
I take it everything has to work in harmony, all part of Canbus, it allows all ECU's to communicate without the need for dedicated wiring, Jeep is not the only one to use this set-up, there are literally dozens of manufacturers gone to this format

Yep, that mysterious wire that appears not to do anything can actually stop you dead in the water as its the brain connection and since they can often work in mV it doesn't take much to throw a spanner in the works..... less sensors the better I reckon and my poverty pack has too many as it is...

Certainly an interesting observation though, rear fog gums it up.. amazing stuff.