AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Performance Upgrade (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161469)

Deezelweazel 03-05-2023 04:36 PM

Performance Upgrade

A friend of mine offered a performance upgrade for my WG.
I'm a bit on the fence, because it's a massive load to the engine and transmission.

After deciding to keep the OE intercooler and intake manifold the temps are still within limits.
Yes, I added additional transmission coolers and added an extra oil cooler to keep the temperatures at bay. Also the air intake must be upgraded to ensure the sufficient supply of air.
Fuel supply is already upgraded with redundant fuel supply and fuel pump(Pierburg) to ensure fuel pressure at all times.

The upgrade would be from 227hp/540Nm to 277hp/650Nm. +/-
It includes reprogramming, a compressor side upgrade to deliver the required air and driveshaft upgrade by GKN.

The guy from the safety inspection facility started to laugh, he suggests brake upgrades- not necessarily, but as a suggestion, as they are already upgraded with drilled rotors and bigger calipers.

It itches me to run close next to those sporty mini cars with a 2.4 ton machine s and passing them with ease while maintaining offroad capabilities
:rolleyes:

I love to play with these types of engines, because there is no environmental pollution control built-in, like Urea. Even the particle filter is just an add-on to get the emission sticker for the bigger cities.

Adrian D 03-05-2023 07:26 PM

You're missing out on some performance because of the lazy torque ramp-up of the TCU between shifts :)
It would also reduce heat a bit.
You might also run into some TCU torque limitations.

Deezelweazel 03-05-2023 08:07 PM

it's not the WG tranny anymore, just the housing to ensure fit to the transfer case...changed that immedaetely.
Lazy? it ramps up and shifts way faster than manual ever could do.

RTB 04-05-2023 07:34 AM

650 Nm in a WG. Now that sounds nice. You gotta do it....

Adrian D 05-05-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deezelweazel (Post 1691336)
it's not the WG tranny anymore, just the housing to ensure fit to the transfer case...changed that immedaetely.
Lazy? it ramps up and shifts way faster than manual ever could do.

Soo, did you change the TCU with the one from the AMG?
AMG solenoids and Jeep TCU solenoid current map leaves performance on the table.

Deezelweazel 05-05-2023 10:01 PM

:lol: Maybe an S 500 Class tranny…
Who cares?

Deezelweazel 26-05-2023 08:41 PM

After a long phone call it turned out that:
- there is the need for a bigger, custom milled compressor wheel
- as a result the compressor housing also must be reworked via CNC
- it needs a improved radial and axial bearings
- the exhaust wheel must be increased
- and again the exhaust housing must be enlarged to suit the turbine wheel
= this will allow maximum performance and plug and play compability

as already mentioned the intake must be increased a wee

Transmission is neglectable. It can handle the torque and the setpoints are good enough. It is already in the low 8's from 0 to 100km/h