AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Another ABS issue for ZJ's (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72159)

ZMattJ 24-10-2007 12:15 PM

Another ABS issue for ZJ's

Would anyone have any advice on replacing an ABS sensor?

A few weeks ago my the ABS light came on in my ZJ, so I took it to the local Jeep dealer in Perth for them to have a look. Thay advised me that the left rear sensor is not working correctly. However, they are unsure if it is the sensor or the cable?? (would anyone know anywhere in Perth that I can get one replaced for a reasonable price as Jeep are asking for $500...:wall: )

Also I advised jeep that the ABS light is not always on and just before it does come on it feels like the brakes are not going to engage. Jeep said that the brakes are fine. In addition, since ABS light has been comming on I've had the front disks and pads repaced and still get same feeling.

Has anyone ever had this before? does it sound like there is a further issue with the braking system? (fluids are fine, due to change at next service and no visable issues).

Cheers for reading JeepOwner :D

grand jg 24-10-2007 04:36 PM

are you able to make a mock cable to see if it fixxes your probablem?

ZMattJ 24-10-2007 04:40 PM

mock cable

Wouldn't know how to..:(

Will dig out the hains manual and see if that help.

Any other ideas out there?

nathan858 24-10-2007 09:46 PM

The ABS light with mine comes on every once in a while. I just pull up to the side of the road and reset the electrics by disconnecting the neg battery pole (similar to what you do when the immobilizer is not working). After this, it turns off. It says on the manual that you may encounter this and may be resolved by that procedure. The problem is if the light is continually on, then most probably there's a problem with the ABS system.

It also says there that if the ABS light comes on, it doesn't have an adverse effect on braking, it only means that ABS is not functionng at that time and what you have is the ordinary break.

drover 05-11-2007 07:31 AM

Have a look at the sensor and give it a clean for a start and make sure there is no gunk over it or the ring gear and that the cable isn't chewed up or corroded at the joiner. I have found when mine plays up it is just dirt or a bit of grease causing the problem. With the light on the brakes still work but you don't have the ABS, so if you hit them hard you will skid. I woul;d think the sensors would be a pretty common set up like the Oxy sensor so would be available elsewhere, will check it myself could be a handy.

Gump 05-11-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepowner (Post 792325)
Also I advised jeep that the ABS light is not always on and just before it does come on it feels like the brakes are not going to engage.

This is normal when the ABS system is trying to work but finds that there is a fault (happens to me too).
If Jeep said it was a sensor or cable then it will be a sensor or cable or module. Buy a sensor from the wreckers (http://www.jeepersbeepers.com.au/index.htm) try that first. There might be some local to you. Unfortunatly for me it was not the sensor (even though that is what the computer said) but at least I didn't have to buy the sensor, so now it's the cable or module. All too hard for me at the moment. Hope this helps in some small way.