AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   WJ/WG front bars (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82424)

xploraWJ 04-12-2008 08:04 PM

WJ/WG front bars

Hi all

I have tried search and cannot locate what I am after currently. We have had our 99 GC Laredo for a few months now and the mod bug has struck. One of the mods we want to do is fit a front bar of some description.
My research has indicated the following options.

Buy an ARB steel bar for $1600ish - Reports that the heavy bar unsettles the Jeep and that it blocks airflow on WJ's

Buy a SS nudge bar off Ebay for $349 - Will it fit okay will it mount lights and cb aerials etc.

I saw on another thread that OEM accessories were made by Bocar, I contacted them today and they stated they only sell to manufacturers now and that the genuine bars are still available. After ringing several dealers SVM in chatswood finally came up with the goods. Both nudge bar and full bar is in stock and available ex warehouse 3 days lead time. Nudge bar is $460 and bar is $1250 plus fitting. Pretty sweet price for dealer accessories and given its a full alloy bar.

So what is everyones veiw point alloy steel etc and how does it affect the car. Lastly does any one have pics of there OEM accessory bars fitted to there cars. Jeep is chasing down some literature and hopefully some pics.

The car is getting new tyres tomorrow and a 45mm lift next week with heavy duty springs so it will handle the accessory weight on the front.

Cheers

Jas

Tardis 04-12-2008 08:34 PM

I have a ARB steel bar with a winch on my WJ,I have had it since the grand was new with no worrys,I chose steel because of the winch and i am a bit hard on bullbars and alloy bars are not strong enough

hemijeepy 04-12-2008 09:10 PM

ARB steel bars are the ducks... they do not make the WJ's handle poorly at all.. if anything they drive better with a steel bar and they are solid as a rock..

turbomart 04-12-2008 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ive got a factory Mopar bar.I think it has much better approach angle than ARB bar ,probably cause ARB sticks out more to fit whinch.
ARB bar is undoubtably stronger tho & Mopar doesnt have recovery points included.
I have added recovery point via a front hitch reciever simialar to another members setup.

xploraWJ 05-12-2008 11:55 AM

Have you ever had any issues with overheating running the ARB bar. There is an apparent issue with the early WJ cooling system and ARB recommend fitting the later model radiator.

Thanks for the input thus far keep it coming

Jas

Chumby 05-12-2008 12:10 PM

I have the ARB bar ... great bar... love every aspect of it!

Cheers
Chumby

xploraWJ 05-12-2008 12:15 PM

Great side on shot Chumby really shows how neat the ARB sits and tucks up
while keeping approach angles in check