AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   rated recovery points (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85931)

sjs 21-04-2009 12:11 AM

rated recovery points

hi everyone

I'm just wondering where your front recovery points are on your jk. mine has the jeep bar on the front and rear, but only have the drop down ring behind the rhs plastic cap, don't know if it's rated for recoveries or not.

it is our club policy that we must have rated points or hooks fitted

cheers

steve

caseyg 21-04-2009 09:17 AM

there is already an epic thread on JK recovery points.

Simsy85 21-04-2009 09:24 AM

short answer, no.

What club are you a member of mate?

sjs 21-04-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsy85 (Post 961969)
short answer, no.

What club are you a member of mate?

Hi simsy85

ipswich, hosting the QLD corroberree in a fortnight.

steve

Crackles 21-04-2009 08:59 PM

Gaday Steve, your club is opening a can of worms if they are insisting on having rated recovery points. The vast majority of tow bars aren't even rated for recovery. What KG rating do they require for a JK & what grade bolts are they recommending you attach them with? I have the AEV bull bar which has 2 extremely tough recovery points inline with the chasis yet aren't rated so technically wouldn't even pass. Pretty much the only recovery gear that has a safe working load rating is lifting tackle as in reality very few recovery attachment points are ever properly tested or rated.
Just because your attachment points aren't rated it doesn't mean they aren't suitable for a recovery but it can often be difficult to tell the difference between a tow loop, a recovery point or a tie down ring. Without a photo it's hard to tell what catagory yours falls into.

oldmacdonald 21-04-2009 09:00 PM

What is this QLD Corroboree of which you speak?

You in Ipswich? Your JK isn't black is it? I've seen a couple of black ones around town lately.

sjs 21-04-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacdonald (Post 962225)
What is this QLD Corroboree of which you speak?

You in Ipswich? Your JK isn't black is it? I've seen a couple of black ones around town lately.

Hi oldmacdonald
it is the yearly meetup and meeting proper(on the sat arvo) of 4wd clubs in Qld affiliated with the Qld 4wd association.

mine is a white sport unlimited.

steve