AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Melbourne Jeep Owners Club (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   2nd Battery on Bull Bar (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92555)

Lushy 12-01-2010 03:39 PM

2nd Battery on Bull Bar

As we all know the JK has bugger all room under the bonnet, not even enough for dust :) I am about to fit a winch and will need more battery power. As I have a controller for the battery in my trailer, could a second battery be fitted to the bullbar.

I was think of putting on a ammo box or battery carrier and put the battery inside it, then fit this battery to the controller, with the winch fitted to this battery, does it have warrant?

I like the idea of the ammo box as it can be used to carry a few tools and can be locked.

WHHEMI 12-01-2010 03:59 PM

Once the winch is on the front bar where is there going to be room for a battery

Lushy 12-01-2010 04:07 PM

I was thinking off - off setting the battery box as if it cvers a indicater it on the JK it want matter as the bar has a blinker fitted.

BrisNut 12-01-2010 04:53 PM

Not sure if having a battery on the front is safe if it impacts someone elses fuel tank in a rearender, make sure none of the cables are run where they will get crushed between the bar and the chassis or body.
There's probably good reasons why batteries aren't normaly mounted in 4WD bullbars and possibly legal reasons too.
Reminds me of seeing a Landcruiser with twin Jerry cans mounted on the front bar, I hope they were just water.

andyperth 12-01-2010 05:07 PM

I though i saw someone fit a battery to the little tool box under the foor in the back of the wrangler.?

Lushy 13-01-2010 06:18 AM

Yep that is a thought too, the battery is from Battery World and is a lot flatter then a normal battery, was worried about voltage drop as the leads for the winch would have to be longer. this maybe my only option. I will have to reroute the cables already made up for the trailer to charge too.

PapaSmurf 13-01-2010 07:05 AM

Lushy, what kind of winch are you planning to mount? I had a 10000lb connected to the main battery/alternator and that worked just fine for occasional pulls. If you install something to let you control idle revs (like Flashpaq), you should never run out of juice.
I have a 2nd battery, but that's for the purpose of feeding the fridge and lights when the engine is off. It sits under the back seat (yes, it's a sealed one) and doesn't get much in the way.