AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   superchips flashpaq - is it worth it, will it help (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93239)

max&ozzy 07-02-2010 04:45 PM

superchips flashpaq - is it worth it, will it help

Hi everyone,

I've heard a bit about these things and I'm wondering how they work and what benefits I'll get. In a previous life I did re-map my Golf GTi turbo chip and wow what an animal I got. But I have a JK petrol now so can't understand how a chip re-map can increase power.

My main question in the whole thread really is will it help improve towing the camper trailer?

Any other nice features you think it has please explain them.

cheers,

Buelljeeper 07-02-2010 05:44 PM

Mate, I'm not a mechanic, but I'll do my best.

These chips, both in the petrol and diesel, are a piggyback setup. this means they are connected between the ECU and fuel thingy (thing that responds to the puter tellin it how much fuel to let thru).
The chip, being the middle man, modifies the signal to either add or subtract fuel, as a percentage value, to either lean or richen the mix, depending on how the chip has been programmed.
At least, that's what the piggyback setup does on both my Buell and our CRD JK, so I can only assume the same for the petrol.
Incidently, the piggyback does not work on the Buell, cause it's pc reprograms itself as ya ride, so that was a bit of a waste of money..tho I did use a forum based program to retune the ECU (which is very dangerous unless you know what you're doing!).
For our CRD, it did drop the fuel consumption slightly, and definitely increased power. Our chip was, however, a DP chip...specificly for diesels. And we pull a camper..so it def works!
Dunno if that helps...

max&ozzy 07-02-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buelljeeper (Post 1045266)
Mate, I'm not a mechanic, but I'll do my best.

These chips, both in the petrol and diesel, are a piggyback setup. this means they are connected between the ECU and fuel thingy (thing that responds to the puter tellin it how much fuel to let thru).
The chip, being the middle man, modifies the signal to either add or subtract fuel, as a percentage value, to either lean or richen the mix, depending on how the chip has been programmed.
At least, that's what the piggyback setup does on both my Buell and our CRD JK, so I can only assume the same for the petrol.
Incidently, the piggyback does not work on the Buell, cause it's pc reprograms itself as ya ride, so that was a bit of a waste of money..tho I did use a forum based program to retune the ECU (which is very dangerous unless you know what you're doing!).
For our CRD, it did drop the fuel consumption slightly, and definitely increased power. Our chip was, however, a DP chip...specificly for diesels. And we pull a camper..so it def works!
Dunno if that helps...

Thanks Buelljeeper,

I kind of get it, and certainly with turbos as it increases the boost compression rate, but not sure how this works in straight petrol.

JK07 07-02-2010 06:21 PM

Superchip is a great mod to add to ur rig. Remember its a 4x4 not GTI so after adding superchip it will give you noticable performance both in terms of HP & Torque, it will also correct your speedo if you 35" tyres or up, and great fuel economy.

It also give u toe settings so which will definately give you bang for for ur buck. I have it and love it. Add Sprint Booster to it and will never drive without it. Go for it.

max&ozzy 07-02-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK07 (Post 1045295)
Superchip is a great mod to add to ur rig. Remember its a 4x4 not GTI so after adding superchip it will give you noticable performance both in terms of HP & Torque, it will also correct your speedo if you 35" tyres or up, and great fuel economy.

It also give u toe settings so which will definately give you bang for for ur buck. I have it and love it. Add Sprint Booster to it and will never drive without it. Go for it.

Hi JK07,

I'm really just aiming to help with towing capabilities for the camper. So do I superchip or re-gear. (obvioulsy both but not going to happen) so which would you do? I think I've got stock 3.21 ratio. I asked for a tow bar from dealer when new but think it was pre the tow pack and he certainly didn't seem to say anything about a tow pack.

JK07 07-02-2010 07:12 PM

Regearing is the best option but expensive and time consuming. You also have to decide what height tyre you will get and than select ur gears accoring to that.

Superchip is cheap option compared to regear and 10 min install option with great advantages. If you are still running stock tyres than regearing might be a second option just get the superchip and sprint booster trust me you will love the combination of both.

spotty dog 360 07-02-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max&ozzy (Post 1045320)
Hi JK07,

I'm really just aiming to help with towing capabilities for the camper. So do I superchip or re-gear. (obvioulsy both but not going to happen) so which would you do? I think I've got stock 3.21 ratio. I asked for a tow bar from dealer when new but think it was pre the tow pack and he certainly didn't seem to say anything about a tow pack.

I cant even tow my camper up my drive in high range I have rube 4.10 but 315 70 17s