AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Transfer Case (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97560)

95jeepers 14-07-2010 11:00 AM

Transfer Case

Hi all, can anyone tell me what the symptoms are if you think there's a problem with the transfer case? Are there any noticeable noises, feel, etc. How can u tell?

95jeepers 14-07-2010 03:32 PM

Yeah i did bro. A couple from Perth bought it and drove it home from here would u believe. Keen, both thumbs up to them!
Apparently it broke down not far from the area they live in. Whilst i had it, i never had any major issues with it. Feel bad in a way. Im thinking it was when that fular that did my slip yoke & double cardan shaft. I think he did a dodgy job of puttin it back together somehow. It was still fairly new.

95jeepers 15-07-2010 06:32 PM

Yeah that fular. i hope for his sake he doesn't bump into me again. Hate people that rip others off for a quick buck...
Hopefully im wrong but only he would know.
Unsure wat happened exactly as yet but i was told after they had it checked out that it possibly had been put together on the dodgy side and oil might not have been getting into it properly or something along those lines. They had a mechanic mate check it out.
Thats why i was hoping others on here could tell me more about it.

Wooders 15-07-2010 10:09 PM

Petrol (L/duty) or Diesel (L/Duty or H/Duty)?
How did they describe the problem?

95jeepers 15-07-2010 10:49 PM

Petrol. Something about a clunk and then another part tightening up? A lil unsure at the mo sorry. I think it was driveable but they didn't wanna push it any more in case it made the problem worse. Don't know if that makes any sense! If i find out any more ill post it up in case other members come across a similar problem.

Wooders 15-07-2010 11:21 PM

Pertol means you'd most like have a Light Dity SYE - why would they need to open the transfercase ?? ( Ie to stiff up anything).

The problem description is very broad - long list of possibilities - but some that spring to mind:
T?case shofter linkage out of adjustment & it's somehow slipped into 4wd.
Run out of T/case fluid and starting to seize-up.
They've somehow accidentally pulled the shifter into 4wd ;)
Sticky splines on Front ot Rear tailshaft which has caused it to slam back into the t/case under compression.
Worn/damaged components in the T/case.
Problem with the double cradan joints.
etc

95jeepers 16-07-2010 05:52 PM

Cheers Dave, if i find out exactly what may have happened to it ill definately reply. Is it not possible to know there may b a problem with your transfer case before its too late? Are there any symptoms that tell u whether or not its on the way out?
Sounds more like the possibility that it may have run out of oil somehow. I do remember seeing red coloured oil drip out when the car was hot and had been driven. That was not long after i had it done but when i took it back to the guy he seemed to have fixed the problem as the bolts needed tightening and he then topped up the fluid.