AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - driving with your doors off = cops
View Single Post
Old 28-08-2009
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
am trying to chase this up through our local vehicle licensing crowd. so far i have a basic ruling of "if a vehicle is presented for adr crash testing with doors on then it must be driven with doors on", as that is the way it was tested. have another couple of avenues to chase up next week.
Yes ... thats the assumption and false interpretation isnt it ....

Just remember in the course of your enquiries ... the question to ask is ...
Does a vehicle with non structural, manufacturer designed, removable doors - need to meet ADRs in regards to door tests.

Complacency / Ignorance by the authorities in regard to vehicle designs has led to the current situation .... As until the TJ & JK were released on the australian market there were no defined/marketed "removable door" vehicles available since the 1982 (?) CJ7 Renegades.

Bear in mind ... If motorvehicles HAVE to have doors to be roadworthy in the future ... then there are going to be a lot of bike riders / tractor drivers / forklift operators / Jeep owners / older vehicle owners ( and not too mention me - when I end up in an old fart, electric mobility device ) .... mighty pissed orff ... with who ever was such a paranoid, do-gooder sociopath - who organised getting doors fitted to EVERYTHING.

That person will want to hope that their side intrusion bars are of extremely good quality ... I would imagine ...

And just a thought on ADR "crash" testing ...

Frontal impact testing is conducted with the bonnet closed ... does that mean that a JK with the bonnet up, parked on the side of the road, with passengers still in it - whilst the driver inspects blown turbo hoses ... is illegally modified ... or doesnt meet ADR requirements to be on that road ...

When an oncoming vehicle veers across the road and hits it ???

Just some more food for thought ....