AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 265/70R17 - fit a WH?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ginga, Stick to the 245/70R17 which is closer to the 245/65R17 that is specified by Jeep as their standard tyre!
When you go to 265/65R17’s you are going two tyre sizes bigger – check the legality of that with your local authority and your insurance company.

I have seen Dave's WH with Mickey Thompson 5 Rib LT tyres last July and they cleared the bolt no problems.

He did however, have the heavy duty OME 50mm lift kit though, he has a bulbar as per his post, I previously gave you a link to this.

Subsequently we have both been to Cape York, my WH shod with 245/65R17 ATR Cooper tyres.
I have twice found out that the lighter ply of Cooper AT/R’s can cause rocks to puncture the tyre easily, so tyre pressures are critical.
Unfortunately Cooper do not make our size in their Light Truck AT/R range, they are 10 ply too.

The Cooper ATR's (107S - 6 Ply – 975Kg) have a lighter ply and load rating than the M/T's (LT118 - 10 Ply 1360Kg) of course they’ll give you a slightly harsher ride without the associated tyre roll.

Note – the Cooper website no longer gives number of ply’s for the passenger ATR’s in our size – have they become sensitive or embarrassed by the higher ply rating on other tyres?

M/T/s will be my next tyres, the Coopers are a bit low on Kg's of weight they can carry and give some concerns when towing a heavy van as well as a big load when going camping without the van.

I will just replace the front springs with the HD OME 50mm lift ones if I have a problem with the bolt, but I suspect that this will not be necessary.
Heavier springs will not alter the ride height but will dampen down the up and down movement, thus negating the opportunity for the bolt to rub.

Both tyre manufacturers share the same manufacturing base.

In the end it comes down to personal preference, based on research, good luck with your tyre selection.