AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Pathetic range of my keyless entry
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Default Pathetic range of my keyless entry

My 1999 WJ V8 Limited has a really pathetic range for the remotes when operating the keyless entry. Sometimes you literally have to be right next to it and then hold the remote in the air to get it to operate. Sometimes unlock won't work until you press lock and then unlock again. Sometimes (rarely) it just won't at all and you have to manually unlock it via the driver's door. Very annoying when you are carrying a couple of slabs to put in the back or trying to get the dogs in the back by yourself etc. The lock function seems to work better than the unlock function most of the time.

It was like it from day one when I picked the car up, but just assumed it had a flat battery in the remote, so I bought a replacement for it. Slightly better, but no good either. However when I pulled the existing battery out, I found that there were 2 batteries on top of each other, half the thickness of the one I replaced them with. So I went back to the shop and bought 2 of the thinner batteries - still no good!!

My old EF Fairmont and my girlfriend's Peugeot remotes would/will work from around 40-50m away, so it' very frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to improve the range of these remotes, or is it just "A Jeep Thing" that I have to put up with?