AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Towing a Van with a JK?
View Single Post
Old 31-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
I haven't towed anything with my JK yet but my daughter towed my camper trailer with her 2.8 Cherokee last Christmas.

My camper trailer is about 1.4 tonne fully loaded and the Cherokee did the job without any problems. My daughter's friends were towing a light trailer with their Disco and they couldn't keep up with the Cherokee on anything but dead flat roads.
What model Discovery as td5 and tdi engines produce below 100kw. The 2.8crd produces 130kw so has a distinct power advantage let alone the fact it weighs less. The later model d3 and d4 tdv6 produces 140kw and the twin turbo variant 180kw so i think the boot might be on the other foot up against these. Though the problem is with all these engines is that they are pretty much producing up near their maximum potential so long term durabillity could be an issue. I actually quite like the old style such as the 4.2 diesel nissan, 4.2 diesel toyota and the isuzu 3dbt diesel that was used in Landy's. Although these where all basically slugs they all had the same philosphy. By not making the engine produce anywhere near the max power they could handle. They all have a life cycle almost as long as their owners and just keep working when others falter. Power is overated unless you happen to be in a race. I wish i still had one of these old dinosaur engines.