AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What's this thunk?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Making some progress with trying to pin down the 'thunk'. Did a test today: drive along at 50kmph, get on the brakes hard, then accelerate, then on the brakes etc. I managed to get a cycling thunk going doing this. When coasting downhill in neutral at 50kph and doing the same thing (except the acceleration bit, using downhill momentum and just let off the brakes then on again, etc) no 'thunk'. I did another test on a flat road at 60kmph, backing off the throttle and then getting on it again (no brakes) doing this over and over sets up a thunk on power on (hard to hear/feel at that speed but it is there). This says to me that it is probably not brake related but more likely driveline related. If driveline related it narrows it down to the transfer case, slip yoke and the drive shaft Uni. I've already pulled the shaft once (after the Desert Trip when a thunk interpreted to be the lack of slip yoke grease first appeared/ and before Jambo) when I regreased the slip yoke, so I am sort of leaning towards the transfer case output bearing or the drive shaft uni (top one).

If this is the problem I know where to place the blame - the Birdsville Track last winter, where the convoy was travelling at what I regarded as too fast for conditions and had to brake hard for floodways/washouts/standing water/etc and then accelerate back to speed. Slamming into dips, floodways etc on a highly corrugated track in power off and power on situation stressed the driveline to the point that on rebound coming out of the bottom of these gullies the 3" lift was putting alot of angle stress on the driveline which may have done a job on the Uni and output bearing.

Maybe this is the justification I have been seeking for putting in the double cardan joint driveshaft.

Comments? Does it sound correct (the reasoning)?

Last edited by glend; 09-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.