AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Engine transplant - BA/BF 4.0L into a TJ??
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The biggest reason to transplant the Ford donk instead of improving the Jeep's, in my opinion, is bank/buck. Even if we consider the SOHC engine, you're looking at slightly more power, a better torque curve, and a more refined/advanced/efficient engine. Bellhousings are available to mate the Falcon engine straight to the Wrangler's gearbox, so the only other concerns are electronics and engine mounts. If I had a SOHC and Barra engine available I'd go with the Barra, but definitely as a starter the SOHC would be a safer transplant. And probably cheaper!

Having said all that, I'd be interested to see the power/torque curves when turbocharging the Jeep 4L - I can't imagine it breathing terribly well with 2 valves per cylinder, so a turbo should make a huge difference in power, and a much flatter torque curve.

Last edited by Lachlan; 10-12-2010 at 09:26 AM.