AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics!
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruggz351 View Post
Ok, I am ready to replace the coolant (Tap water ) In my XJ. I have a bottle of NULON Ultra Cool concentrate, but I have come accross a cheap readymix that is eth/gly free. It has corrosion inhibitors, lubricants and rubber conditioners in it.
What are your thoughts?
So far, (touch wood) my cooling system has been performing well. (It bloody well should)

cheers
Wouldn't use anything but demineralised water myself. If you cannot get demineralised water at an auto store or a supermarket, use a premix coolant with eth/gly (and find another auto store ). If your system is performing so well, why compromise it? why not treat it to the good stuff? I know some brands sate you can use tap water, but why would you want to for the sake of $1 a litre?

Not sure what the "eth/gly free" coolant is you are talking about, but I wouldn't use anything but eth/gly in my XJ. No other reason than that is what the service manual calls for and I do not know what the effect of running a non eth/gly coolant would be on the system, somone else might be able to expand on this.

If you don't get all the old eth/gly coolant out in it entirety I would be worried about the chemical reactions I have heard so much about (some scream "truth" and others scream "myth", but I don't have the $$ to use my rig for R&D).

Last edited by XJeepers; 08-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.