AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - xj front bar
Thread: xj front bar
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2011
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmonster View Post
looks great steve.
by frame do u mean chassis??
did you need a lot of extra braceing for the recovery points??
obvously steel is heavier, but do u think a basic bar with tube wings, brush bars and steps would be greatly heavier than alloy?? what u mean is, will i likley need to upgrade my suspension to take the weight (i am considering a winch and dual batt set up at well, but i think that would need a suspension upgrade)
i would proberly also like to make mine winch compatable and be able to mount some spotties, wat did you need to take into consideration in designing for the winch??
if i was going to maybe chop my guards in future, will i need to take this into consideration so the flares (might be bigger than stock) will clear the brush bars.
thx 4 the help
burmonster
Yep chassis, although there is no real chassis on the XJ being a unibody.

The recovery points go through the 4mm steel top and then through 6mm angle brackets that are welded to the 6mm plates that mount the bar. So yep plenty of reinforcement bolting through 10mm of steel

The winch plate is also 6mm and is welded directly to the mounts, its also braced underneath and the front 4mm plate braces it as well. It doesn't move or twist

Not sure on the rest, really depends but yep, if you're going to chop take that into account and there will be some weight there with a winch as well.

Cheers
Steve