AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - ABS and ESP error
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
This is a fortunate thread as I was going to ask the same question. My ABS/ESP light came on yesterday on the way back from the high country. I'd got the left hand wheels caught in a rut that dragged a heap of mud inside my front left wheel the day before. The light didn't come on until I was well and truely on the black top, so I suspected the wheel sensor. I drove home from Mansfield most of the way on the cruise control. When I got home I removed all the wheels and hit the whole underneath with the Karcher. The lights are still on today. My Scanguage is not showing any codes. When I think about it I recall thinking that the ABS was coming on at strange times in the dirt the two days before the light. It was activating with very little brake pressure but not in every case. I also noticed that the ESP wasn't activating when it normally did when slipping a bit in the dirt.
Yep, I experienced the unusual feeling with the brakes too prior to the lights eventually staying on, particularly when the ABS/TCS would kick in on a sharp bend while braking on a gravel road and suddenly disengage (with the dash lights suddenly appearing) and the wheels would lock putting me into a sideways slide. Dealer diagnosed on open-circut in the ABS pump (but replaced the control module as well, which suddenly gave me Hill Start Assist on my MY '09) and in my case I think I may know the cause, as I dunked the thing on it's RH side up to the top of the driver's side headlight in a muddy waterhole.

Last edited by jklad; 24-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.