AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Removable Xj swing away tyre carrier
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Well I have fitted the packers to each backing plate which makes a difference, it also means that the bolts that pass through the bumper aren't distorting the face of the bumper anymore which is good, the flex has also reduced to a point where I am happy, enough to mean that I am not going to bother with the brace to the towbar.
I am still not happy with how far the swing away needs to open to clear the tailgate so much so that I fitted a bare rim to the mount and took some measurements....

Tomorrow I will cut up the swing away and lower the "A" towards the main arm which will mean that I can clamp the tyre up against the frame and it will only need to open to a right angle square with the car so it will be barely past the mirror which I think will be safer.
I then need to sort out a strut so it is self opening and then the latching mechanism once the latch arrives....
Tomorrow should see all the under bar frame work all painted as well as the bar as at the moment it is dark metallic blue which doesn't go so well with the red so it will become satin black.....

Cheers, JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland