AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TJ: Morgs' Build-up
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Driveline vibes gone... a few other changes to

I think its about time for an update. A few things have changed. Most importantly I swapped out the 3.5" RE front springs with 3.5" OME front springs. The spring rate is alot softer and the front has come down about an inch. Always wanted the lower centre of gravity. I am happy with where the front is now sitting. I also picked up some fibre glass half doors and spent some time fixing them up and repainting them.

This is where it is now at:

These are the stock front springs in the rear. Rubber mallet bump stops still going strong. If you are going to use them just ensure that you use a big enough washer properly counter sunk down the middle and bolt them in really tight.

For more months then I could remember I had vibes that continued to get worse and worse. I pulled the front shaft out and had it lengthened by 35mm at Driveline Services Aust at archerfield. Cost about $230. They also put in a a greaseable slip joint. After putting it in two months ago the vibes were still there until yesterday morning

The vibes ended out being caused solely by the nut that holds the yoke to the output shaft of the transfer case. I noticed that it was loose (finger tight) when I was under there moving things about on Friday night trying to locate the cause. Finally, the heap drives like a smooth ferrari with a tractor engine

I also wanted the spare tyre to sit as close as possible so I cut it and mounted it on an angle only 3mm off the swing out . I had originally made the swing out and rear bar before even picking up the wheels:

I fabbed up some rear mud flaps last weekend to keep the fun police happy. I used the holes pre-drilled in the chassis and just stuck some bolts through to save drilling. They are detachable in the usual way and I just need to trim some rubber off the top:

Today I decided to cut a bigger area in the front fender to allow the front tyres to tuck up an extra half inch into the flares. I didn't end out taking a picture of things complete and painted but thought I would put this picture up to show the piece of rubber tyre I used as a coil spacer to level out the car.

Last night I went for a drive with the Brisbane Jeep club boys and decided to park the heap a little close to a tree to get off the track. When i tried to back it up the tree smashed the left mirror into the bonnet. I think now is the time to think about a re-spray although if I get that done I'm sure I'll just wreck it even worse. Might just get a can of gloss black and see how things go. Got home from the afternoon/night run at 2:00am.

Next mods will probably be putting in the new rear upper spring mounts and doing something with the upper shock mounts front and rear to think about going to an even lower COG. New speakers will also be in when I get a moment. House reno are taking up too much of my time.