AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK Wrangler Tips On Canning Stock Route
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I started a thread re the CSR and the JK a while ago that u could search for. I am planning a first time trip in early July 2012. When r u going? We could team up. From what I can work out, there is no reason to think that the JK cannot do it... lesser vehicles do. The main issue seems to be fuel... u either need to carry it or arrange a fuel drop at Well 33 via Capricorn Roadhouse. The longest distance before fuel supply is about 1100km (2 b safe) from Wiluna to Kanawarrijitji. Fuel (diesel and Opal) is reliably available there (cash or eftpos, no credit card).

The prepartory things I am doing/done for this trip are as follows.
1. Fit HD rear springs with 2 inch lift plus airbags.
2. Fit MT tyres & have 2 spares.

1 and 2 r essential in my opinion and from my experience with other tracks.

3. Change shocks (due, my JK has 60000 on them) and keep old ones as spares
4. 2nd battery system...dc/dc set up works best in my experience and get it fitted by a autoleccy who knows what he/she is doing.
5. Fridge. I have a 60 litre WAECO and just spoiled myself for Xmas and bought a 40L Engel. Which one will I take? Choices, choices.
6. Check nuts bolts etc and tightness underneath vehicle
7. Sort out water carriage... multiple containers best.

Most other stuff I need to do or need to take I already have or have done.

Anyway, don't listen to those who give a downer to every idea... just do it!!! Let me know if you want to join up with me in July.

Cheers