AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Next gen Wrangler
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Awesome road manners..hmm, compared to a Ford model T? lol

I thought the JK was one of the best compromises and after my 2.25yrs with it while I believe the suspension is a big part in its capability I reckon its overall packing and dimensions are just as important in the package. If you dumped a bloated big patrol or cruiser body ontop of a JKU it might still climb and articulate well but you'll not be able to get it places without significant body damage (and even possibly get stuck because of the body). A stock TJ or JK may not "look" very capable in stock form but with a clever driver they have the ability to go much further into tricky terrain than a heavily modified cruiser/patrol because of their overall packaging creating a highly manoeuvrable vehicle.

Articulation isn't the pinnacle of an off road 4wd performance. Your wheels aren't always going to be on the ground - even the most modified vehicles will lift a wheel every now and again so its just as important to have a suspension design which allows the wheel which IS on the ground to provide positive traction and a driveline capable of ensuring there is power being directed to the wheel with traction.

heck you only have to look at Jeeps of the past to see that it wasn't their suspension which was the secret to their success. Zook drivers know all too well its very much a size thing.

I think there's better solutions out there but realise they are likely to be cost prohibitive.