AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Went out to glasshouse today, didn't expect to get real far because of all the rain but still had fun on some relatively easy tracks, plus all the mud. I managed to screw up though, almost got bogged in a big water puddle on the track so reversed out and took it with a bit of speed...was far deeper than I thought and had water splashing up over the bonnet and it stalled.

Got a mate to pull me out and ended up with about 1cm of water in the passengers footwell, was also pretty concerned about sucking water into the engine, the air filter was soaked and there were some small drops of water in the intake pipe. Pulled all the plugs which were clean and dry, cranked it and no water came out of the cylinders so put the plugs back in and started it up and it spluttered a bit but came to a normal idle.

Put it all back together (with the damp air filter, didn't want to risk sucking any of the mud from the airbox thru the engine) and set out back the way we came, about 100m down the track it was misfiring pretty badly, pulled over with it misfiring and carrying on so I pulled off the no1 lead with it running and it still carried on misfiring and running like shit, no1 lead back off pulled no2 lead, same thing. Engine off and pulled no2 spark plug and it was covered with soot, cleaned it off and put it back in, seemed to run okayish but soon back to misfiring and running like crap. Also had black smoke (unburnt fuel) out the exhaust.

Pushed it though to the nearby Repco, it seemed to me that hard acceleration up to speed felt fine (but still lots of unburnt fuel out the exhaust) but crusing along it surged and missed and ran like crap. Got a new airfilter at Repco and pulled all 6 plugs to clean them, they were all black and covered with soot. Cleaned them all up, new airfilter back in, still runs like junk.

Got it home, swapped ignition coil with a mates (Thanks Vichi), still runs like crap. In neutral at idle it misfires and runs rough, it revs alright enough, rev it up to 5000rpm and back off then back up to 5000rpm and plumes of black unburnt smoke out the exhaust.

Sorta concerned there might be internal engine damage but I'm going to do a compression test when its cooled down to check things out there. I'm hoping its just a sensor or something