AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lift and Tyres of your JK
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012
MonsterMoose

Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh jk View Post
hey jk gringo i currently run MTZ 265/70R17 on some 17X9 -12 offset MTZ classic 2s with 4 1/2" backspaceing the tyre joint who allso does roadys said they legal and within the legal limit but they do stick out about 1" 1/2 from the stock flares hope it helps jk gringo
Hate to tell you Josh but they aren't legal - 50mm total increase in track on a solid axle vehicle (or one inch per side old school). Track is based on the centre of the wheel, which also happens to be the offset. So going from +48mm offset to -12 is an increase of 60mm track on each side, or 120mm total. So your wheel track is 70mm to wide to be legal sorry to say. Not to mention the fact they stick outside the guards! But hopefully you have that covered with some flare extensions.

So bottom line to keep within the strict letter of the law, the rims would need to be around +23mm offset maximum. Width can be legally up to 1.5x to stock size, but that wont fit with an increase of only 1in offset.

Heres a pic I modified a while ago as I found it much easier to understand!

The ideal 8in rim would be an 8in rim with a 5.5in backspace (+25mm offset). This only gives an extra 1/2 in clearance on the inside edge, but should be enough to clear the 285's. Over that, your not strictly legal no matter what.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club