AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Off-road Wheels & Tyres for 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Off-road Wheels & Tyres for 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Greetings!

New Jeep owner, so please be gentle.

I purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L about 6 weeks ago and would like to take it off-road "soon". The primary use for the vehicle will be for family commuting on sealed roads. My intension is to use the Jeep off-road about 2-4 times per year. I would like to invest in some appropriate off-road wheels and tyres. I have been searching online and reading LOTS of forums but nothing has dealt specifically with my situation as most of the discussions have centred around older Jeeps.

From what I understand to date:
  • My Jeep Grand Cherokee is an export vehicle.
  • According to the "Tire and loading information" plate on the vehicle, the original size is 265/50R20 107V (front and rear) and the spare is 245/65R18 110H.
  • In Australia I haven't been able to find any 4x4 R20 tyres, and compared to the R18 prices I imagine they would be too expensive for my use (and budget).

So I believe I am best looking for a R18 wheel and tyre combination and was wondering if anyone has done this with a 2012 JGC before OR if anyone can offer any advice, dealers I can go to that could potentially help out, etc?

To add some boundaries to the above, and probably should go without saying, I am also a bit of a stickler for rules, laws, etc and require whatever combination I use to comply within the bounds of any Australian Design Rules, etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.