AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Replacing your Torque Converter
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2012
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

This has been edited to explain why I have put the following comment here:

What follows is simply a caution about approaching the TC replacement as a DIY job. I am not trying to imply that anyone knows less than I do, or big note myself in anyway - I am concerned about people getting hurt and somehow encouraging that, so that's the reason for the caution.

For those considering a TC replacement, please be aware that this is a pretty big job that requires good tools (as outlined in my original post), and the time to do it carefully. The transmission/transfer case assembly is a heavy item and you must have a hydraulic trolley jack with some sort of support mechanism. The transmission jack adaptor that I bought was pretty useless and I had to add 4x2 timber to get proper support, and this was backed up by rated straps while left overnight or during critical times when i was removing and reinserting the TC. Please approach this carefully because I do not want anyone getting hurt. If in doubt about your tools, and capability, then get a pro at a transmission shop to do it. At the very least if you get stuck then get on here and talk to us about the issue and we'll try to help if we can.

In regard to other work that could be done at the same time, in addition to renewing the rear main seal it's an ideal time to extend the transmission and transfere case breather hoses to the top of the firewall area.

Last edited by glend; 29-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.