AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Hints for Torque Converter Upgraders
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012
Renegade

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The V6, which Andy has, has a different transmission ti the CRD; but they are related. The CRD, had the 545RFE which is a five speed with the fifth being an overdrive. The very early model CRDs miyght have had the same transmission as the V6 had the 45RFE which is a four speed with fourth being an overdrive. Lockup of the torque converter occurs in the top gears if each. If you run the GDE TCM tune you get lockup in 3rd, 4th, and 5th and the overdrive button is used differently. There is no GDE TCM tune for the V6. I don't know about the wisdom of trying out Andy's experiment on the other transmissiin but ket us know what you find out if you do it.

I'm not sure I understand what Andy was getting at as well. Normal kick down out of a locked up top gear will put you back on the pump, which is less fuel efficient than lockup. His description needs abit more detail I think.
Yes its the difference between two auto boxes but the programing is in the TCM. Like I said I couldn't find anywhere that describes how the TCM actually works but had experienced runaway on hill descents quite a few times. I was looking for a solution as the TCM does switch the torque converter lock at highway speed above 80km/hr. I found that on a chrysler transmission site.
As for testing it out I wouldn't mind hearing if others find this works. The diesel does hill descents better than the petrol and the V6 has a history of runaway.
It wouldn't change anything on the driving setup with the overdrive lockout 'off', as logically nothing the overdrive switch does has anything to do with low gearing but it is an input to the TCM. I'll keep providing info but it was successful over four succesive hill descents on long steep hills. If anyone has done the Hill climbs at Loveday 4WD park they would know they are progressively challanging hills even the easy slope.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD

Last edited by KJ_andy; 07-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.