AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ: Project "Apache Resistance".
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default XJ: Project "Apache Resistance".

Don't even ask about the build name, it just sounds like i know what i'm doing.

Mind you i am only 17 years old. Just turned 17 about a month ago. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything, and i will be happy to answer them for you.

It started off as any other stocker. It's a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited (XJ). My brother bought it from Brewster Ford over in NY for $5,000 with 90k miles. He put on a 4.5" RC LA lift, and 32" BFG KM2s. He also put in a new head unit, an amp, and a subwoofer. I personally think the sub takes up WAY too much room in the back, and i was actually thinking about taking it out. I just haven't figured out what i want to put back there yet. Other than that, the rest was still stock.

When he bought it from Brewster Ford, within the first 30 days of getting it he had the 30 day/1000 mile warranty. In that time he brought it back to Brewster ford 4 times. Once was for an 02 sensor, the second time was for the TPS, and the 3rd time was for the other 02 sensor. The fourth time was pure luck. We had one more day on the warranty. The fourth time was a major problem that i am glad happened. The thing kept over heating, and Brewster Ford towed it from our house in New Milford, all the way back to Brewster, NY. Turns out his head gasket was shot, and they did the job for free. That's like a 1,000$ (assuming a shop did it) and something i now don't worry about.

I'll post some pictures up of it when he bought it stock, and what he did to it, and then i'll continue on in vivid details of what i have done to it so far. I know the motto around these parts is "Built Not Bought", and i would just like to throw out there that when he did the lift, i was there alongside him giving him a hand with it.

I should also mention, i bought it for around $3,600 and he was in about $7,500. Sounds like a deal to me. When i bought it from him the steering was shot, and the brakes were as well. This lead me to upgrade both of them as you will read below. This is my first vehicle i've ever owned, and i don't plan on selling it. I think i'm going to get a dual-sport motorcycle to beat around town instead of driving the jeep everywhere. It's currently a DD, and doesn't see much trail use. As stated in my introduction, i'm only 16, and i am still learning things. I am by no means an expert in anything. I'm just a kid who likes spinning wrenches. :headbang:

I'm going to reserve a few post spots beneath this, because i have a lot more information to add before people start posting. It will just look more organized if it's all my posts to its current state, followed up by your input.

Oh, i almost forgot, here's some pictures of it stock, and some of it when he lifted it. All these pictures are from when it was in his possession. I take no credit for any of these pictures. The pictures in the posts below will be mine.

I figure pictures talk louder than me rambling. In case you didn't notice, i take pictures of everything, which i figure will make for a nice build thread. Everyone likes pictures. If you can't tell, i like to ramble on a lot, don't mind it, it's just apart of me. I will probably proceed to post my questions up in here instead of the tech section, as i will have a lot of questions.

Stock -

Lift Kit & Tires/Wheels -

Lift Process -

Finished Result Of Brothers Progress Before I Bought It -

Last edited by ApacheResistance; 10-01-2013 at 09:09 AM.