AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ: Project "Apache Resistance".
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

I also went ahead and bought a JCR DIY Front Winch Bumper W/ A Lean Forward Light Bar. I paid like 350$ for it shipped (or somewhere around there.) When it came in, i bent it into shape and tack welded it together. I'm not the best welder, but i got it tacked together. I then gave it to my dad to bring to work. He works for a factory, that has welders and what not there. I had one of them literally fill every joint with weld. The company pays for it all, even if it's for recreation projects, so as you can imagine they welded the piss out of it. It's not just 3-4" lines of weld, it's all the way filled with weld.

After i got that back, i decided that i liked the bare metal look. I put it on the jeep. I soon realized that if i wanted to keep the bare metal look i would have to clear-coat it or something to protect from rust. Instead, i went around looking for a bedliner. I couldn't find a decent product anywhere. Just when i was going to get it Line Xed a guy at tractor supply recommend i picked up a few cans of Dupli-Color Truck Bedliner from Advanced Auto. I went into Advanced Auto, grabbed two cans of it (22$) and went home and began work.

I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to really clean that metal up. After that i used a Brillo pad to scratch it up nice. I then ran a coat of pure acetone over it to get rid of all the acids. The bedliner recommended that i just spray it on the bare metal, but it didn't say that it would protect rust. Instead i sprayed Krysol Ruddy Brown primer over it. This says it protects from rust, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. After the primer dried (like an hour) i began spraying on light coats of bedliner. It actually came out really nice. I didn't want to bedline the D-Ring Tabs or the Light bar, so i left them bare metal. I just recently (like on 6/24/12) bedlined them as well because they were showing signs of rust. Here's some pictures of that. I know i take a lot of pictures, deal with it. It makes things more interesting. Get ready to scroll through lots of pictures of me building a bumper. The D-Rings i used are 9 1/2 Tons. I had to file them down to get them to fit through the D-Ring Tab holes.

I guess this also fits in this section as well. Here's my new steering box brace, and the Uniframe Tie-In Kit.