AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next was a Tow Hitch. I went with a Reese Hayman. At the time the dealer wanted some absolutely ridiculous amount, about 2x more than they charge now (which is still too much). So I went to ARB and they recommended a great place called Miami Towbars.

Since the spare sits inside the vehicle there is actually a lot of room underneath the back of the WK2. This makes for a fairly easy install, but also allows them to tuck the hitch up underneath, which looks much nicer and doesn't decrease your departure angle very much. They do cut a notch into the rear bumper for the hitch to poke through, but if they do a good job, it ends up looking really nice.

I like that it allowed me to remove the stock tow hook, which improved the departure angle significantly. And now when I recover from the tow hitch, it is a centered and balanced pull.

Here's a few pics for anyone who's curious. I took these today, not when the tow hitch was installed, but you can still see how it all fits.

After my first trip off road, I noticed they mounted the wiring harness underneath the bracket, which of course led to it getting damaged. I went back and had them rewire and remount a new harness up above the bracket, where it is a bit safer. The guy was great and only charged me $20 for the labor.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.