AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,583 Times in 4,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
It's almost like you heard my thoughts today Deezelweazel, I bypassed my heater due to leaking core and was wondering where the gauge usually sits as I haven't taken mine on a good drive yet. Now I have something to compare with.
Down here on cold winter mornings mine struggles to get past the second mark. I suspect its getting too much very cold air from the snorkel & the heater is big enough to more than cool the engine. In the warmer weather it runs just above the 3rd mark which is about where the thermostat opens.

Just an update on the other one, havent got it started yet, wont start on the battery, will need to tow start. I am beginning to think the #1 lifters may be faulty as the valves dont appear to fully close. If that turns out to be the case the head will need to come off again.
Been a bit busy working on my pop top camper.

Seeing the muck in your cooling system, I would be flushing it with tap water until its clean, running it till the water goes muddy & flushing again. I had to do that a few times with a diesel I purchased years ago that had not had coolant in it for a very long time.

Last edited by layback40; 07-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.