AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Charging Optima Batteries
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl3175 View Post
I've been doing a bit of research about batteries and charging so I thought I might share the little I've found out so far.
My mate has been using an Optima battery as his auxiliary for about two years and it recently stopped working, buying a new one he was told his charging was not right for the Optima as they require 14.4 volts to charge and his system only got to 13.8 or so.
I just recently purchased a new super duper expensive battery for the camper and after reading the instructions the recommended charge rate is 14.5 volts @ 20 amps.
I have it on charge at the moment using my smart charger which is putting in 14 volts and has been doing so for over 30 hours, now down to .6 amps but it seems it will never fully charge.
This now explains why I've never got the run time for the 12 volt fridge that I should, I'm going to have to spend even more now for a charger that will give 14.5 volts, anyone got any recommendations?
AFAIK a Projecta smart charger puts out, 14.4v for an AGM and 15v for a calcium mine did before I blew it up with the geni surging. However I think you will find the Optima battery is a dry cell. And AFAIK the average smart charger can only charge AGM, Gel, Wet & Calcium. I have an idea you need a charger that can charge dry cell.

Regards A