AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ: Fraz's Budget Build with JK Diffs
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Some new bits and pieces have been added, and I've also taken it for a full-days off-roading now too! Still getting used to driving it off-road, as the body tends to follow what the rear wheels are doing, where I'm used to the body following the IFS setup in the triton.

First off, I fitted up some RE Swaybar Disconnects. Need to relocate the "disconnected" fob, as it scrubs against the tyre at full compression.

Anyway, I had to re-do the cooling system as the original radiator was leaking like a sieve. I would have to top the overflow bottle up every day, asd it was leaking from a couple of different places. I've since installed an ADRAD HD Copper/Brass 2-row radiator, and it's fixed the leaking issues. The original rad in mine was already a copper/brass by the looks of it, as it only ever overheated when stationary. Because of this, I've also replaced the viscous fan coupling with a Dayco unit. The fact that I can actually hear the fan now is a big improvement over the original, and it doesn't go over 105 in traffic either!

While I had everything apart, I fitted a 7-row auto cooler in front of the A/C auxiliary fan. Now there's no issues with the auto overheating in stop-start traffic, causing it to slip and carry on especially in reverse. I've also wired up the aux. fan to a separate switch so that I can turn it on whenever I want to keep the engine and auto cool.

Original auto cooler above the new 7-row unit:

All fitted up, sits nice and snug behind the grille:

Fancy wiring for A/C fan:

Next round for the cooling system is to replace the water pump, thermostat and housing with High-flow ones from Hesco. I'll also (hopefully) be fitting up a fiberglass cowl to the bonnet to help improve the engine bay temps. I'm currently halfway through installing the new audio system though, so that may take a while before I'm back on track.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!

Last edited by fraz; 02-01-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: missed a bit