AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lift and Tyres of your JK
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or has seen it before. I posted in another thread that I was unhappy with my Maxxis Bighorns because they had worn very quickly and had chunks missing all over the place. They've done about 15,000 to 20,000 km and are about two years old. I normally only use them for off road trips as the day to day travelling is done with the stock tyres. Today I decided to refit them for the summer season and I noticed that all of them have fine cracks particularly around the base of the treads but also in the carcass

I reckon that I'll get this summer season out of them before they have to be replaced I don't wheel particularly hard, just around the High Country which I've been frequenting now for over 30 years. I've never had a set of tyres fall apart so quickly, they're worse than a few retreads that I ran on my Cruiser for a couple of years when I was poor. I'll just keep them on the Jeep now until they are dead which won't be too long as I reckon I'm going to tear off complete tread blocks next time out.

I have contemplated taking them back to Bob Jane and having a bit of a winge but I don't like my chances being so far out of warranty.
Got a set that I had been using on my Pajero for offroad only as they were too noisy for daily use. Spent more time off the vehicle than on. Each time I came to use them there seemed to be more cracks. Chunks taken out were from wheeling on hard sharp rocks ie granite.
Rubber, from what I understand, actually goes off or becomes brittle from lack of use.