AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - My 1996 ZG Grand Cherokee Laredo
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Get your roadworthy before doing any modding.
+1.

Also, the advice up thread about the radiators is good. I just got a 1997 limited back on the road and both the radiator and water pump were toast. The radiators can be had very cheap on Ebay so that is not a problem, water pump was done by the garage I had the roadworthy done (not too expensive). Throw a new belt on there at the same time. spark plugs, wires and a dizzy cap are cheap and will help with the running. make sure all the vacuum lines from the manifold are taped up as they seem to harden and crack with age. You can cobble them back together with rubber tubing and electrical tape until you manage to find good originals.

Other stuff that I did on mine: headlights were buggered (glass falling off the bases) but the repro ones on Ebay (make sure they are RHD) are plenty good. Rear wheel bearings will probably need checking on any older jeep (i.e. all of them, not just the ZJ) but replacing them on a ZJ/ZG is extremely simple. I ended up buying heavy duty axles and new bearings in a kit for $700 odd which I thought was good value.

My car in particular seems to have gone through a period of extremely poor maintenance, the rear ABS sensor wires were snipped but again I went to ebay and bought replacements that work fine and are cheap.

Any car sitting for that period of time will need the brakes inspecting. Nobody disconnects a driveshaft without something being extremely broken - I'm going to guess the CV joints are stuffed in yours on the front axle so get under there and have a good look. Mine were OK so I have no idea what kind of money it takes to refurbish them.

Rear exhaust muffler was rotted out on mine too, along with the trailing arm bushes on the front axle (superpro make good replacements for those).

Reading on the internet leads me to believe the interior electrics are basically an ongoing project (central locking actuators, weird messages from the "4wd switch" and sundry other broken switches etc). Most of those can be addressed as you have the means I think. At least that's my plan.