AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics!
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
What does it mean, if the top large hose coming from the radiator leading to the front of the engine (I assume the water pump) has expanded in places?

Does it mean that the water pump is on the way out or has died?

There is no sign of a leak so far.

I opened the bonnet after experiencing a 115 deg C climb which came back down to 100 deg C when the aircon was switched on - a departure from the regular 95 - 105 deg C range.

Is there a blockage somewhere that is causing this expansion?

I haven't really noticed the expansion of the hose before but only did so when I hadn't switched the aircon on and the car was still hot.

The radiator was changed about 7 years ago, not that it needed changing back then, but the stealer could not find the source of a coolant leak - it wasn't the radiator.

What is the typical cost of an XJ waterpump and thermostat and labour?
To clarify - the hose had expanded between the sleeve protecting it from the pulley and the water pump. The rest of the hose was its regular size. I had another look at it now that the engine temp is cooler and the area of expansion went back to normal size.

At the time I stopped the engine running, I could smell a disc brake type smell coming from the wheel area but it could have been the disc brakes.