AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views
View Single Post
Old 21-02-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
I run 38psi on my 35" MTZ, do you think that's too much?
I didn't even run the stock 245's at 38psi as I thought that gave too harsh a ride.
I used to run the stock 245's at 35 psi
My current 285/70/17 I run at 32 psi and I'm getting even wear across the tread. If I run them at 38 psi I start to see the centre section wearing faster, and my kidneys don't like the beating they get from harsh ride.
My guess would be no more 28 psi for 35's, but others who run them might be able to advise more accurately.

If you do the maths the volume inside your 35's is roughly 80% more than the volume of the stock tyres. Your JK weighs the same as it did stock (give or take a few mods ) so it only needs the same amount of air in the tyres to support it. The same volume of air in a larger tyre results in lower pressure. According to the maths you could run the 35's at 20psi to be equivalent to 38psi in the stock tyres. There will be other factors to look at such as tyre carcass construction and side wall height differences meaning the tyre flexes more generating more heat so maybe running that low might not be good for the tyres but it shows the direction you want to be heading with the pressures. At 38psi in 35's I'm surprised you've got any kidneys left.