AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WH Guard flares
Thread: WH Guard flares
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

I've been eye'ing off the Commander flares too.
I did some rough measurements of the WK flares and they'd need a fair bit of moulding to fit the shape.
But the real pita would be the mounting side; since the WK has 'pockets' stamped into the arches to accept the flares.

I haven't had a chance to measure the commander ones, but they look real close.
I was thinking to position them so that the outside edge of the flare (with the bolt holes, fake I guess?) is sitting nicely.
Them trim the inside edge away until it's flush (or as close as possible.) to the inside of the wheel arch.

It looks like the most hassle would be getting them to fit the contours of the panels.
I think a combo of the techniques used by this guy (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/100...flares-135574/) could help - Either tracing the contour onto the commander flare then cutting it to shape (if there's enough 'lip' to cut from.).
Or making flares like his (by curving and contouring PVC.), then heating the commander flare over that to get the contour.

I had a go at making flares like his using plastic decking ripped into ~25mm strips. I ended up doing one, which worked, didn't flop like the rubber ones but still looked butt-ugly. It would be possible to make one look nicer with some clever routing and angled cuts, but would be hard to get the subtle lines to make it look properly-nice (like the little SRT8 ones.).

Last edited by JamesLaugesen; 31-03-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typos