AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 97 xj 2.5td diffs into 96 xj sports
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: 97 xj 2.5td diffs into 96 xj sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
yes pull the rear cover off - where the axles go into the housing, you will see the c clip (i think from memory)

i think all prior to 2000 had the HP D30 - the latter had the weaker LP D30 like the TJ's
You will see where the axle comes into the spider gear (the gear that rotates on the axle sitting vertically next to the crown wheel) on the end of where the axle comes out of this a "ring" that stands proud on the end of the axle shaft after the axle pokes out of the spider gear. It is called a "c" clip because it resembles a C. If you can't see the end of the clip turn the wheel until you can see it. This weak design flaw is all that holds the axle in. If it breaks the whole axle assembly will come out of the housing. Nothing else holds it in. A new C clip or axle (if the axle snaps) is the only way to get going again. There is no way on a D35 to retain that axle if the clip breaks other than replacing what I said.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.