AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 rear tyre carrier
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
The GCs are about the same width as a Patrol so they should handle 2 spares and the swing-out arc would be less so it may have less chance of hitting any trailer/caravan bit. The GCs can't take enormous tyres (like my old patrol) so the fabrication of the bar shouldn't be that extreme. If its anything as good as the front bar, she'll be sweet as!
Read this so did some rough measurements on the Overland. Now using inches the tyres are about 30" and the GC is about 62" tail light to tail light so with 2 tyres that leaves 2" or 50mm for the reversing camera to see through. Now adding in the width of the tyre say 265mm, the camera has a 50mm x 265mm + (mounting gap between carrier and vehicle say 50mm) channel to look through. To me that would severly narrow the field of view...Bit like tunnel vision...Only rough workings here but worth looking into..No pun intended ha!!..Seriously thouigh a design criteria to consider. If it is a problem then moving the tyre mounting position further out is a possibility but would have some legal issues with roadworthy if they protrude out further than the wheel arch flares I guess....Need another look at the NCOP on vehicle mods??...As for viewing angle to rear lighting then how do those rubbish come wood carring bags that fit on rear tyre carries pass..Surely they must obstruct??

Ps: You have a point about swing radius and camper/caravan clearance...I had to have a drawbar extension fitted with centre mounted carrier on the Commander otherwise I had to pull up at an angle to open the rear.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-06-2014 at 04:01 PM.