AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
What year model do you have as if it's a pre-update the temp sensor for the guage has no influence on the fans.
The temp sender for the guage is at the rear of the head on the passenger side, the temp sender for the PCM which in turn is responsible for the fans is located in the thermostat housing.
Does your fan run with the AC?
Ok, this is what I know so far:

I couldn't see any sensor on the head rear passenger side. Not to say that there might be one as it was difficult to see/feel back there.
Date of car 10/97
AC - is not working, that's another problem.
Prior to this recent problem, I have heard the electric fan cut in.
Prior to this recent problem there was a DTC P0138 O2 Sensor circuit high voltage.
So today, I put a new radiator cap on and pulled the plug off the sensor on the thermostat housing and cleaned the plugs with contact cleaner.
Then I plugged in my laptop and started the car to check for DTC's.

Including P0138 the codes are:
P0138 Engine coolant temperature circuit high. This was because I forgot to plug the sensor back in. The fan was running and stopped when I plugged it in.
P0320 Ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit (I don't know what this one is)
And a pending code of P0265 Shift solenoid "B" performance or stuck off.
So I put a blanket in front of the grill and warmed the car up. I could hear the friction fan roaring into action and then getting quieter.
The electric fan cut in at 106°C and cut out at 102°C. I did this twice to confirm.
The outside temperature according to the overhead console was 17°C. Leaving the car to idle and cool down the temperature sat on 99°C before I turned it off 30 minutes later.
The temperature went as high as 107°C and never boiled once.
The above temperatures were taken from my laptop.
The temperature guage in the dash was reasonably accurate, plus or minus a few degrees.

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997