AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

I fitted up the Smittybilt rear bumper and tyre carrier today....took most of the day to do......still have a couple of electirical things to sort tomorrow.
Supplied by Trax, at an excellent price. The bar itself went on without a problem.

Couple of things I noted....
1. Clean all the powdercoating off the carrier hinge point.
2. Prefit the carrier hinge pin...mine required a little hand fitting for proper fit.
3. The rubber snubbers are rubbish, mine didn't even outlast the adjustment process. They now supply two (obviously one wasn't up to it), but the rubber just broke where it goes through the bumper. I used the two holes and fitted Rivnuts....I'll be screwing a rubber block to the bumper at this location instead.
4. I modified my carrier to allow the plate to be clearly read......VHT Wrinkle Satin Black, and a heat gun, does an excellent job of matching the factory wrinkle finish.
5. There is enough room between the carrier and the bumper to run the wiring underneath the jerry can holders....see the pics, its nice and neat.
6. The cam wheel that provides adjustment wouldn't clear one of the locking bolt holes.....so I had to file a section out of one of the square holes to fit the locking bolt.